Bring (something) into existence.

"She created a thirty-acre lake"

synonyms:

Generate, produce, design, make, fabricate, fashion, manufacture, build, construct.

Saturday 13 December 2014

Week 8

Character Project


I start this project on a high. My seminar on the dichotomous duo was really interesting; the part that was most informative was when we wrote an alphabet of words on a board as a contest. Then we had to find a dichotomy with one of these words and make a Venn diagram.



I chose sour and sweet as I had this image of an old divorced crazy lady and a little cute girl on her paper round, having a little bond over cats... Because cats are great. However because I felt that this could go into a colour palette and theme too similar to my sentry gun I changed this to leather and lace.

My investigation into a theme has led me down a tribal route. Looking into Peruvian and Mexican culture, high fashion and illustrative styles I could base my characters off. I found someone called Yao Yao and it's great, i'm in love with the skinny leg bulbous body look. I'm genuinely excited to use their work in a style guide and see how it converts into 3D.





It's funny how solid ideas repeat, even if it wasn't intended. I looked at journey because the more I looked under my theme and style the more it popped up. Low and behold the strongest of my silhouettes where visually similar to the shapes in journey. It may have been unintended but it does show how there is a defined difference between ripping off something and riffing off something. By using similar source imaginary I came to the same conclusion, and rather then panic and wonder what to do, I decided that this was great. I had found a style, a theme, made strong choices and produced strong designs. The fact that they are akin to something often seen as very visually strong can only be positive. This was the birth of Journey 2: Electric boogaloo, with horns.

The journey through game art continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment